The seat where the Museo de Arte Moderno de Cartagena de Indias functions is made up of two buildings: one was built during the second half of the XVIIth century by the Spanish crown so the first Customhouse of the Port of Cartagena de Indias would function there. The second was built at the end of the XIXth century as an addition to the warehouses located there.
In 1875 the Sala de Armas (weapons room) was established, years later it became a shop where artillery pieces and mountings were constructed and repaired. It received the name of Casa de Armas, place where the surplus of weapons of the war cruises and regiment equipment were stored.
The Museo de Arte Moderno de Cartagena de Indias is a cultural institution and functions since 1979. It is located on the Plaza de San Pedro Claver, next to the church and convent with the same name.
The management of the Museo de Arte Moderno de Cartagena is a mixed corporation dedicated to conserve and divulge diverse manifestations of visual arts and educate the community for its complete appreciation.
The Museo de Arte Moderno de Cartagena de Indias owns a collection started by a donation by the OEA of latin american paintings of the 50s, th collection has been enlarged and permanently exhibited in Room 1. In its program are also included individual exhibitions, collective exhibitions, and a continuous programming of supporting activities.