It is the most central plaza in the city. The first name it had was "Plaza del Juez", since on the corner where today is a banking corporation lived the lawyer Francisco de Santa Cruz, resident judge that came to the city to take oath to the new governor
Don Juan de Badillo who would replace the founder of Cartagena de Indias; Don Pedro de Heredia.
This plaza was designed by the authorities for the commerce of african slaves and took the name "Plaza del Esclavo", and would be renamed by the end of 1585 to "Plaza de Mercaderes", due to the fact that for some time the merchants were parked where today is the Portal de los Dulces. Then it was called "Plaza de la Yerba", and changed to "Plaza de los Coches" by a decree of the of the mayor allowing the carriages to be parked in front of the Portal de los Dulces.
The last name given to the plaza was "Ecuador"
(1519), in tribute to the border treaty signed between Colombia and Ecuador. In this plaza were exhibited the prisoners for general shame. Now days the plaza is still called "Plaza de los Coches".